LinkedIn

11 April, 2007

CHILDREN'S CORNER: JUSTIN'S WORLD

When your child looks at the world, what does he or she see? What does your child think about? What does your child dream about? When your child talks to you, what does he or she talk about? Do you listen – really listen?

In this segment of CHILDREN’S CORNER, we are going to give you an opportunity to find out what one young person thinks about, dreams about and talks about. We’d like you to meet Justin. He is a precocious three-year old who has a lot to say about a lot of things. If there are any pre-schoolers in the house, you may want to introduce them to Justin, too!

Welcome to ....

JUSTIN'S WORLD

Hi! My name is Justin. I’m three years old and I go to pre-school. I don’t know what pre-school is. All I know is that it’s a place where I go during the week and where I spend most of the day. And when my Mom and Dad talk about this place where I go during the week and spend most of the day, they call it ‘pre-school’. Other children who are the same age that I am are there, too. They are my friends. I like pre-school. I have fun. I get to do a lot of things at pre-school. I learn things. Our teacher – Miss Jones – teaches us the alphabet and how to spell. And she even teaches us how to count. But I knew the alphabet before I went to pre-school. I knew how to count before I went to pre-school, too! My Dad used to sing the alphabet song to me when I was little and he taught me how to count! Well, I’m still little now, but you know what I mean. My Dad said he used to sing the alphabet song to me when I was really small and had to sleep in a crib.

I am going to say the alphabet for you now: a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v, w, x, y, z.

How’s that?

And I can count, too.

I am going to count for you now: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100!

But that’s not all! I know how to write the letters of the alphabet. I learned how to write the letters of the alphabet before I started going to pre-school. My Mom and Dad taught me! Do you know how to write the letters of the alphabet? Let’s play a game. Let’s call it the “Write The Alphabet” game. I have already written the letters of the alphabet in small and capital letters. I left a blank line next to each letter of the alphabet so that you can write the letter of the alphabet that is next to the blank line. Ready? Get set! Go!
.
A _____ a _____ B _____ b _____ C _____ c ______

D _____ d _____ E _____ e _____ F _____ f _____

G _____ g _____ H _____ h _____ I _____ i _____

J _____ j _____ K _____ k _____ L _____ l _____

M _____ m _____ N _____ n _____ O _____ o _____

P _____ p _____ Q _____ q _____ R _____ r _____

S _____ s _____ T _____ t _____ U _____ u _____

V _____ v _____ W _____ w _____ X _____ x _____

Y _____ y _____ Z _____ z ______


Wow! That was fun!

Did I tell you that I know how to write numbers? My Mom and Dad taught me that, too! Let’s play another game. Let’s call it the “Can You Write Numbers From 1 to 100?” game. Can you write the numbers that are missing on the blank lines? Let’s see. Are you ready? Get set! Go!


1 _____ 3 _____ 5 _____

7 _____ 9 _____ 11 _____

13 _____ 15 _____ 17 _____

19 _____ 21 _____ 23 _____

25 _____ 27 _____ 29 _____

31 _____ 33 _____ 35 _____

37 _____ 39 _____ 41 _____

43 _____ 45 _____ 47 _____

49 _____ 51 _____ 53 _____

55 _____ 57 _____ 59 _____

61 _____ 63 _____ 65 _____

67 _____ 69 _____ 71 _____
-
73 _____ 75 _____ 77 _____

79 _____ 81 _____ 83 _____

85 _____ 87 _____ 89 _____

91 _____ 93 _____ 95 _____

97 _____ 99 _____



If you were not able to write all of the missing numbers, don’t be upset. Just keep practicing. Keep working at it. It takes time to learn things – and it takes practice – lots of practice.

Now, let’s see. At pre-school, I have a great teacher. Her name is Miss Jones. She always has something happy to say to us. Every morning she has a happy greeting for us. I think I can remember it. I remember it! Want to hear it? Here is Miss Jones’ happy greeting:

“Good Morning. Children,
We are all in our places
with sun shining faces
Oh, what a way
to start a new day!”


Oh! We sing songs in pre-school, too. We have a song we sing about our teacher, Miss Jones. I will sing it for you:

“Two, four, six, eight!
Who do we appreciate?
Miss Jones! Miss Jones!”


Do you ever think about what you would like to be when you grow up?

Maybe you’d like to be a teacher. Or an astronaut . . . a lawyer . . . a scientist . . . a college professor . . . a policeman . . . a fireman . . . a nurse . . . a doctor . . . a plumber . . . a mechanic . . . an engineer . . . an artist . . . an architect . . . a senator . . . a poet . . . or even the President of the United States.

I think a lot about what I would like to be when I grow up. I can’t make up mind yet what exactly I’d like to be. When I figure it out, I’ll tell you. How’s that?

Well, I’m getting sleepy. It’s time for my nap. I had fun talking to you! Bye!

No comments:

HOUSE OF UMOJA, INC. ANNOUNCES “NEXT STEPS” FOR “READING IS RESISTANCE” COMPONENT OF PHILADELPHIA’ S OBSERVANCE OF NATIONAL MILLION FATHER MARCH

CONTACT:   Queen Mother Falaka Fattah President and Chief Executive Officer House of Umoja, Inc. (215) 473-5893 E-Mail:  falakafattah@aol.co...